NPE Files Seven New Suits Asserting Patents Co-owned by Level 3
PersonalWeb Technologies [NPE] and Level 3 Communications filed seven separate suits against Apple, Facebook, IBM, Microsoft, Nexsan Technologies, Rackspace, and Yahoo, alleging that the defendants’ network-based content management systems infringe three or more of eight in-suit patents related to data processing systems. According to the complaint, PersonalWeb and Level 3 Communications each own a 50% undivided interest in the patents. PersonalWeb has filed seven prior suits since December 2011 against Amazon, Autonomy, Caringo, Dropbox, EMC, Google, NEC, NetApp, VMWare, and YouTube. According to its website, PersonalWeb develops software products, including a social learning platform called “StudyPods” and digital content management system. However, the company’s current focus is on its licensing and litigation efforts. The patents-in-suit originated with Kinetech, a subsidiary of Brilliant Digital Entertainment (BDE), which completed an asset contribution agreement with PersonalWeb in September 2011. BDE is the majority owner of PersonalWeb. 9/17, Eastern District of Texas, no judge yet assigned, 6:2012cv00657; 6:2012cv00658; 6:2012cv00659; 6:2012cv00660; 6:2012cv00661; 6:2012cv00662; 6:2012cv00663.
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Rackspace US, Inc. et al
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Yahoo! Inc.
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Nexsan Technologies, Inc.
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Apple Inc.
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Facebook Inc.
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. International Business Machines Corporation
- PersonalWeb Technologies LLC et al v. Microsoft Corporation