Recently Formed NPE Files Its First Case, Targeting Personal Hotspots
Pennsylvania-based WiNet Labs LLC, an entity formed in Wyoming in late March, has filed suit against Apple (3:19-cv-02248) in the Northern District of California. The plaintiff accuses the tech giant of infringing a single patent generally related to a hierarchical protocol for forming an “ad-hoc network”, with infringement allegations focused on the personal hotspot feature offered by certain Apple iOS devices. WiNet Labs further pleads that its predecessor “through an agent, offered to sell the…patent to Apple” unsuccessfully at some point in 2014.
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics