Battle-Tested Patent Asserted in New Western District of Texas Suits, as Remanded Litigation Fires Back Up in the Western District of Washington
Ancora Technologies Inc. has revived litigation of a single patent—generally related to preventing the unauthorized use of software on a computer—that has twice been the subject of an appeal before the Federal Circuit. Ancora began litigating that patent in 2008 in a case filed against Dell, HP, and Toshiba, in which Microsoft intervened. Subsequent cases filed against Apple and HTC resulted in Federal Circuit appeals, both ending in Ancora’s favor, the second of which reversed, in a November 2018 opinion, a district court Alice invalidation. Ancora now accuses LG Electronics (6:19-cv-00384) and Samsung (6:19-cv-00385), in the Western District of Texas, of infringement through the provision of a long list of mobile devices (e.g., smartphones and tablets), with the complaint calling out “over-the-air software update” features on such devices.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and parties
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics