“Sticky” Indeed: Judge Albright Denies Another Motion for a Convenience Transfer
District Judge Alan D. Albright has denied another motion by Apple for a convenience transfer out of the Western District of Texas to the Northern District of California. STC.UNM, the intellectual property enforcement arm of the Board of Regents of the University of New Mexico, sued Apple in West Texas after beginning this campaign three months earlier with a lawsuit in the same venue against TP-Link, filed in April 2019. The presence of that prior case may have been pivotal, at least under these circumstances, to the court’s denial, in which Judge Albright also declined to rely on any arguments concerning the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic, calling them “too speculative at this time”.
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics