Entry of Final Judgment Clears Way for Apple and Broadcom to Appeal $1.1B Infringement Verdict in Caltech Suit
District Judge George H. Wu has entered final judgment for California Institute of Technology (CalTech) and against Apple and Broadcom nearly eight months after a Central District of California jury returned a verdict that the two defendants had infringed several Wi-Fi networking patents held by CalTech. The jury reached its verdict after a two-week January 2020 trial, awarding CalTech more than $837M from Apple and more than $270 million from Broadcom, both under a running royalty theory. Despite entering judgment, the court has postponed deciding several issues until after an anticipated appeal.
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics