Australian Plaintiff Sues Apple, HMD over Biometric Authentication
CPC Patent Technologies Pty Ltd., an apparent subsidiary of Charter Pacific Corporation Limited, itself a “diversified investment company with a focus in Biometric Technology” formed in Australia in 1987, has launched US litigation, suing Apple (6:21-cv-00165) and HMD Global (6:21-cv-00166) in the Western District of Texas. The new complaints target the provision of smartphones with biometric authentication features based on fingerprint or facial recognition; Apple is further accused of infringement through the use of Touch ID and Face ID in iPhones and iPads to authenticate Apple Card payments through Apple Wallet.
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics