Long-Running Grecia Campaign Pushes into 2021
Since December 2013, William Grecia has been continuously litigating a three-member family of patents on which he is the named inventor. The campaign has hit dozens of defendants, including providers of streaming services (e.g., Amazon, Cablevision, Sony, WalMart (VUDU)), makers of software with encrypted cloud storage (e.g., Adobe) and devices with cloud settings (e.g., Apple, Google), and companies offering or using payment systems (e.g., American Express, Best Buy, Target). Despite a Federal Circuit setback at the outset of the year, Grecia has continued asserting one of the three patents in 2021, accusing Cullen/Frost Bankers (6:21-cv-00016), Kohl’s (6:21-cv-00102), and Samsung (Samsung Austin Semiconductor) (6:21-cv-00131) of infringement in Western District of Texas complaints, the last case filed one day after Samsung asked the Eastern District of Pennsylvania for declaratory judgments of both noninfringement and invalidity (2:21-cv-00562).
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics