Blue Spike Files More Cases amid Loss of Alice Appeal
- October 27, 2016
October saw Blue Spike LLC file two new cases in its digital watermarking campaign, pushing its defendant count to over 170. On October 11, the NPE sued electronics manufacturers Contixo, MTM Trading, Proexpress Distributor, TCL, and Visual Land (6:16-cv-01220), accusing the companies of infringing two patents through the provision of various mobile devices. The following week, it filed suit against several members of the Kudelski Group (2:16-cv-01191), alleging infringement of ten patents through watermarking technology used to secure video content. These latest cases straddled a loss in the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals for the NPE (16-1054). On October 14, the Federal Circuit affirmed a 2015 district court ruling that invalidated five of Blue Spike’s patents-in-campaign under Alice.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics