PTAB Cancels Claims from IXI Mobile Hotspot Patents in Apple, Samsung IPRs
- December 28, 2016
The Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) has cancelled multiple claims from three wireless hotspot patents (7,016,648; 7,039,033; 7,295,532) asserted by IXI Mobile Inc. (IXI) against Apple and Samsung. In four December 21 final decisions, issued in response to inter partes reviews (IPR) jointly filed by the two companies, the Board ruled that all but one of the claims litigated by IXI are invalid in light of prior art. The PTAB held that nearly all challenged claims from the ‘532 patent—apart from claim 10, which the Board declined to review—are obvious over prior art (IPR2015-01443). In addition, it found that all challenged claims from the ‘033 are obvious over other references (IPR2015-01444) and that all challenged claims from the ‘648 patent were either anticipated by (IPR2015-01445) or obvious over (IPR2015-01446) prior art.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics