Federal Circuit Affirms Alice Invalidation of Messaging Patents Asserted Against Facebook and Twitter
- May 18, 2017
The Federal Circuit has upheld a New York judge’s ruling that five cross-platform messaging patents (7,032,030; 7,596,606; 7,685,247; 7,689,658; 7,698,372) asserted against Twitter by EasyWeb Innovations, LLC (2:11-cv-04550) are invalid under Alice. In an opinion issued on May 12, the Federal Circuit affirmed District Judge Joseph F. Bianco’s grant of summary judgment of both invalidity and non-infringement for Twitter, ruling that the asserted patents are invalid as directed to the abstract idea of “receiving, authenticating, and publishing data” without the addition of an inventive concept (2016-2066).
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics