University of Tennessee Heads One District West with Two of Its Recent Cases
- May 28, 2017
University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF), as patent owner, together with Saint Matthew Research, LLC, as exclusive licensee, have dismissed the complaints that they filed against Citrix and Cloudera earlier this month in the Eastern District of Tennessee, in favor of new complaints asserting the same patents against each defendant but in the Middle District of Tennessee. Last Monday’s narrowed reading of the patent venue statute, announced in the US Supreme Court’s TC Heartland decision, appears to have motivated the move west. While the venue allegations in the Cloudera complaint (3:17-cv-00895) remain unchanged, the plaintiffs plead various connections between Citrix (3:17-cv-00894) and the district in a clear attempt to withstand a venue challenge there.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics