Lone Star Silicon Appears to Have Thrown in the Transfer Towel in Campaign Asserting Former AMD Patents
- July 20, 2017
Through the last three months of 2016, Lone Star Silicon Innovations LLC (LSSI) filed six lawsuits in the Eastern District of Texas, asserting overlapping sets of a dozen former AMD patents against Micron Technology, Nanya Technology, Renesas Electronics, SMIC, Toshiba (together with Western Digital (SanDisk)), and UMC. The patents generally relate to different aspects of semiconductor fabrication, with LSSI targeting various integrated circuit devices. Each defendant responded, in part, with a motion to change venue (some for convenience, others for impropriety), and months later, after fully briefing these motions, LSSI has agreed to transfers of all but the case against Micron to the Northern District of California, citing the US Supreme Court’s recent TC Heartland decision on patent venue in some of its papers. A motion to transfer the Micron case to the District of Idaho remains pending.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics