Patents from Family Ravaged by Alice Asserted in Smartphone Campaign
- February 10, 2018
Named inventors from a large family of patents, generally related to “multimedia” mobile devices, have filed a second wave of cases, this time through plaintiff Mesa Digital LLC. The new complaints accuse Amazon (1:18-cv-00919), BlackBerry (1:18-cv-00921), Lenovo (1:18-cv-00922), and Sony (1:18-cv-00924) of infringement through the manufacture and sale of certain smartphones. Kermit D. Lopez and Luis M. Ortiz, patent lawyers and named partners at Ortiz & Lopez, PLLC (d/b/a OL PATENTS), asserted eight patents from the same family in a campaign brought by Front Row Technologies LLC, which ended after the Federal Circuit affirmed a district court decision invalidating those eight patents as directed to patent-ineligible subject matter under Alice.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics