Post-Berkheimer Battle Lines over Alice Take Shape, as Hyper Search Duels Facebook, Sues Foursquare and Snap
- August 24, 2018
The sole litigation campaign of Hyper Search LLC, an affiliate of IPValuation Partners LLC (d/b/a IPVal), remains in Alice limbo as a validity challenge brought by defendant Facebook continues to hang over the asserted patents. While briefing for Facebook’s Alice motion ended in January, both parties have repeatedly apprised the District of Delaware of subsequent authority—including the Federal Circuit’s Aatrix Software and Berkheimer decisions, as well as subsequent opinions citing them. Undeterred, Hyper Search has expanded the campaign, filing new Delaware lawsuits accusing Foursquare Labs (1:18-cv-01274) and Snap (1:18-cv-01273) of infringing the same patents through the operation of their respective websites. The patents-in-suit belong to the same family and generally relate to a system for home page creation, graphical search engines, and a system for controlling information output based on user feedback, respectively.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics