PTAB Sees Further Validity Challenges in Campaign Waged by Native American Tribe
In October 2018, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) continued to see petitions for inter partes review (IPR) filed against Native American tribes following the Federal Circuit’s July ruling that the tribes’ sovereign immunity does not apply in the context of IPR, including a petition brought against the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe over patents at issue in the campaign waged by SRC Labs, LLC. That petition was filed shortly before the Federal Circuit declined to revisit its sovereign immunity opinion in late October. Also in October, the PTAB instituted trial in four IPRs against a subsidiary of Quarterhill Inc., which just reported a significant drop in quarterly patent licensing revenue over the previous year. Meanwhile, October saw a number of notable final decisions, including one issued in an IPR against a subsidiary of General Patent Corporation.
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics
- Image Processing Technologies, LLC v. Canon Inc. et al
- Image Processing Technologies, LLC v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. et al
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. Dell Inc.
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. Toshiba America, Inc. et al.
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. ASUS Computer International et al
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. HP Inc.
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. Acer America Corp.
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. HTC Corporation
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. DISH Network Corp. et al
- IPA Technologies Inc. v. Alco Electronics Ltd.