An Unfazed Fortress Hits Microsoft Twice More
Uniloc 2017 LLC, a subsidiary of Fortress Investment Group LLC, has continued to file new cases, even as suits brought by Uniloc Corporation Pty. Limited, the prior owner of the asserted patents, work their way through a standing fight arising out of a complicated set of agreements between Uniloc and Fortress. Uniloc 2017 has hit a familiar target, Microsoft, twice in March already (8.19-cv-00428, 8.19-cv-00477). The first of those cases focus on Microsoft’s provision of the LTE-enabled model of its Surface Pro tablet, which the complaint alleges includes a Qualcomm Snapdragon X16 LTE modem that supports HSUPA/HSUPA+ cellular connectivity; the second, its provision of Microsoft PlayReady, with associated servers allegedly deploying license policies based on factors such as geography and time (e.g., establishing allowed dates and expiry periods following a media item’s first playback).
This content requires a subscription to view
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics