Degradable absorbent material and manufacturing process therefor

  • US 4,931,139 A
  • Filed: 12/31/1987
  • Issued: 06/05/1990
  • Est. Priority Date: 01/02/1987
  • Status: Expired due to Term
First Claim
Patent Images

1. A process for forming a degradable particulate absorbent material having not more than 30% inorganic solids content by weight and comprising the steps of:

  • a. obtaining waste cellulose fiber material having not more than 30% inorganic solids content by weight with a total dry solids content ranging from approximately 20% to approximately 50% by weight;

    b. rehydrating the waste cellulose fiber material to produce a water/fiber slurry comprising on the order of about 96.5% water by weight and about 3.5% total solids by weight;

    c. adding a water insoluble latex emulsion to the slurry produced in Step (a) in an amount ranging from about 0.5% to about 5.0% of the total dry solids by weight in the slurry;

    d. dewatering the slurry to form a shreddable press cake;

    e. particulating the press cake by means of a shredding device to form discrete particles;

    f. conditioning the discrete particles produced in Step (e) by imparting a tumbling motion to such particles in the presence of a water mist; and

    ,g. drying the conditioned discrete particles to produce a generally flat planar particulate to produce a generally flat planar particulate absorbent medium ranging from 80% total dry solids by weight to 92% total dry solids by weight and having not more than 30% inorganic solids content by weight.

View all claims
    ×
    ×

    Thank you for your feedback

    ×
    ×