Professor-Backed Rokiot Sues Samsung in Campaign over IoT Platforms
- February 10, 2018
Rokiot USA LLC, another entity controlled by Dr. Abdelsalam (“Sumi”) Helal, a professor at the University of Florida Research Foundation, Incorporated (UFRF), has expanded a litigation campaign, filing suit against Samsung (6:18-cv-00062) in the Eastern District of Texas. The two asserted patents generally relate to a “modular platform” connecting various devices with “heterogenous networks”; targeted in the complaint is Samsung’s provision of Internet of Things (IoT) products related to home automation (i.e., hubs, sensors, smart locks, smart thermostats, etc.), as well as corresponding apps, services, and platforms (e.g., Samsung Connect, SmartThings, and Artik). Last month, the first case in Rokiot’s campaign, filed against Robert Bosch in July 2017, was dismissed with prejudice in light of settlement.
- Over 7,000 news articles covering new patent cases, key policy decisions, and USPTO assignments
- Advanced custom alerts for campaigns and entities
- Proprietary litigation timelines
- Full access to Federal Circuit, PTAB, and ITC dockets
- Judge, venue, and law firm analytics